Finding The Write Words with Darlene Fredette

Finding The Write Words with Darlene Fredette
Welcome to my blog!

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

At the Cottage with Holland Rae

Welcome to the cottage, Holland!

Please take a seat on one of the comfy chairs in the sitting room by the fire. 
Ooh, this is lovely!

What can I get you to drink and a snack?
Haha, I’m not sure there’s enough space! I’m a huge tea and coffee drinker, and love fruit iced tea – peach and raspberry especially! I try and snack healthy, but chocolate covered espresso beans are high on the list – the problem is that you really can’t eat too many at once…

Tell us a little about yourself.
I recently graduated from college in Boston, where I studied journalism – I loved Boston, but dang, those winters. My dad and I have a start up company in the classic car field, so I get to write about classic cars, which is a ton of fun. (A start up and a writing career, it’s like I’m trying to never make any money…) Other than classic cars and writing, I’m a huge art history nut and spend most days outdoors. The dream retirement plan is currently a renewable energy farm with a lot of big dogs and some chickens. (I do need a career before I can retire, though…)

I’m not a fan of winter. What is the weather like this time of year in your area?
Ha. The above answer about Boston winters tells you all you need to know about that. But, take it or leave it, I’m a Jersey girl through and through. We haven’t had a terrible winter, which is nice because I love to walk and listen to audiobooks, but my boyfriend and I have long-term plans of Southern California, and I really don’t think I’ll miss a Northeast January.

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing? 
 I find working out is a great addendum to the writer’s life. I go to the gym and walk several miles nearly every day, and that reprieve from the office helps me work out plot points and character arcs. Being both a writer and a journalist has made me very curious, so I have a lot of varied interests – Art history, classic cars, environmental studies. I’m huge into travel, I spent my semester abroad living in a 14th century castle in The Netherlands (with two moats), and lately I’ve been deeply involved in activism, climate change and feminist studies.

Are you an animal person? If so, what do you have? 
Two delightful and very spoiled furry babies with me right now! The dog, Houdini, is a white mutt with brown spots – one ear is all brown and the other is spotted. The kitty, Vinnie, was named for Vincent Van Gogh, because he’s ginger and white, and a little part of his ear was missing when we adopted him. I think the hardest part about college was being so far away from the pets!

What is one obsession you possess? 
To be honest, I more go through obsessive phases… Like, I spent the last three months getting really into studying astronomy and taking online classes in astrophysics (decidedly over my head). Sometimes it will be fandoms – books, TV or movies, and sometimes it will be activities – I’ve been banned from baking unless we’re going to a party, because my family will eat it all… One thing I’m pretty consistent about is my audiobooks – I usually listen to between 3 – 6 a month, and it’s a great way to get exercise and also take a break from everything around me for a while, but I can get hard-core into the story and not manage to accomplish a lot in an afternoon…

What book might we find on your bedside table? 
My current read is This Changes Everything, which is a non-fiction book about climate change. I’ll admit, it’s not exactly light reading, but I feel it’s my duty to educate myself and do all that I can to help save the environment – the world we live in. I’m 24 right now, and I’m honestly scared by what changes we’re going to see in my lifetime alone. On a lighter note, I’m currently listening to The Hard Ink series, by Laura Kaye, and it’s really great! I’m trying to find a good balance between the information I feel I need to know, and the escapist fiction that will keep me sane.

Where is your favourite place to read?
Everywhere! Kitchen table, bed, couch, outside on the hammock. I do have a morning ritual of reading The New York Times in bed while I drink my coffee, but I have to say that, as of late, that hasn’t been as relaxing a way to wake up as I would like.

What’s your next writing project? 
I just signed a new book with The Wild Rose Press – a historical romance that I am so excited to dig into edits on! I can’t say much, but the heroine is a mercenary pirate captain, (and everything I want to be when I grow up…) Other than that, I’m currently working on the third book in my Special Forces series, and the first in a contemporary erotic romance trilogy.

Describe yourself in three words.
Creative, passionate, curious. (Or pick any of the Ravenclaw descriptors, they mostly all fit…)

Please share with us a peek at your book, A Duel of Hearts.
When Lady Mary Elizabeth Anne Paramour runs away from an unhappy engagement, her options are limited. Soon, she finds herself at the doorstep of a favored cousin’s temporary home, the estate of the most debauched lord known to the aristocracy, Nathaniel Arlington. The charming and handsome Lord Arlington’s perpetual house party is infamous across England, and fodder for instant disownment if Mary’s prudish mother, Countess Helena, ever finds out where she is. 

But Mary, with a rebellious streak of her own that led to a lifelong interest in fencing, comes to realize that maybe not everything is as it seems. Over late-night sword fighting and whiskey, she begins to develop an unlikely friendship with the lord, who might just have more behind the rakish fa├žade than he lets most people believe. But just as Mary thinks their unusual friendship might turn to more, she finds herself facing the unexpected, something that might just ruin her chance at happiness forever. 

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Duel-Hearts-Royal-Rakes-Book-ebook/dp/B01LXVWX32/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Thank you for visiting, Holland! It’s been great getting to know you. Please stop by the cottage again soon!
Thanks so much for having me!

Where can we keep in touch with you?
https://hollandrae.com/

3 comments:

  1. So nice to have you visit the cottage today, Holland, and nice to get to know you better! Houdini and Vinnie are great names for pets :)
    Wishing you many sales with A Duel of Hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting me at the cottage, Darlene! Thanks for the great questions and kind words!

      Delete
  2. Another interesting interview. You're brave to tough out those East Coast winters. Love you named the cat Vinnie!

    ReplyDelete