"An artist is a person who uses conscious skill and creative imagination."

Monday, September 11, 2017

A Flick of the Brush

For quite a while now, I've had the urge to paint again. I definitely don't call myself an artist, but I do enjoy picking up a brush and bringing an image to life. Over the years, I've learned to play with colours and to use certain brushes to create different techniques. I'm not one to follow a pattern as a picture may depict. I prefer to add my own look and colours.

A few weeks ago, I dragged out my box of brushes and a few bottles of paint. After years of no painting, I thought it best to start with a few small projects.

My first project was this snowman on a glass jar. I used stained glass paints as well as acrylic. The back has candy cane stripes. The snowman looks awesome at night with a tea light shining through his heart.

My next painting was done on canvas. I titled this one: 'Song
Bird'. I took several pictures throughout the process, but here's the final product. I usually only paint on weekends, so this project took some time. The detailing is all my own, and I thought I was going to go cross-eyed filling in the sky around the flowers and leaves. Note to oneself...paint the background first.

What's next? I have a canvas already outlined with roses. I also want to do another glass jar, this one with a sunflower. But I have a picture in my head that I saw while browsing online of a snowman through a window. I just need to draw it on a canvas.

All is took was one flick of the brush to return my love of painting. I'm anxious to get more paint on my hands, and in my hair...yes, I tend to lean in close to my projects, lol.

6 comments:

  1. I love that snowman, what a great idea! The 'Song Bird' is so pretty too. I used to paint in oils and acrylics, mainly horses and landscapes, and also 'canal barge' style flowers on horseshoes, but sadly I'm not organised enough to find the time to paint AND write, so the painting's gone by the board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I would love to see some of your painting, especially the horses! Sometimes it is nice to take a break from writing and slip back into the peaceful painting world :)

      Delete
  2. They're beautiful, Darlene! I would definitely say that you are an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Dale! I take that as quite a compliment after seeing some of your work. Would love to know how you create your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thank you, Darlene--I really appreciate that! I mainly use paper art and my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale, what exactly is paper art? Do you have a blog? I'd like to follow your site :)

      Delete