Thursday, September 7, 2017

Too Quiet?

Is there such a thing as too much quiet?

With my daughter back in school to complete her senior year in high school, the house is quiet. So quiet, I keep listening for the beeping of backhoes and the rumblings of dump trucks that have been driving me crazy for the past few weeks. But because of today's heavy rain, the road crews cancelled their work of tearing up the street, curbs, and sidewalk. Even the dog is feeling the odd sense of silence. He is lying at my feet, but he will glance up at me every so often as if waiting for an interruption to his nap.

September is met with a heavy sigh. Vacation is over, summer is on its way out, the air is turning cooler. What's to like about that?

Though Fall is a beautiful time of year with the changing colour of the leaves, I would probably enjoy the season a lot more if the long days of winter didn't follow so closely behind.

September does bring a return to a routine schedule. Early morning wake up times, regular walks with the dog, reduced delays on page layouts in the magazine, and then there's my work-out of biking and weights. Speaking of which...because of recent back pain I suffered, I've been a bit non-dedicated to exercising. However, with my back pain less troubling, I decided today would be the day I return to my workout. I didn't want to push my first day and thought thirty minutes on the bike would be a good start. What was I thinking!! After five minutes of peddling, my legs burned. I persevered and made it to twenty. Thankfully, the weight lifting went much better. I guess patience is required, and I'll have to slowly add minutes and hopefully increase my speed to where it once was.

Tomorrow, I'll turn the radio on in the office to make the silence a little more comforting. But, I probably won't be able to hear the music with the bangs and booms of road work once again filling my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment